Holy Week: Tuesday

Follow this link to read the gospel text for Tuesday in Holy Week: John 12:20-36

"Very truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit."



Drinking Song of a Germinating Seed
by Jayber Crow

Long has been my thirst for water
Suffered in the dark
Bode among the filth and fodder
For the heavens to impart

And how I drank that summer evening
The promised droplets fell
When I imbibed a draught so pleasing
That my skin began to swell

And like my lips unto a bottle
I mean to drink in haste
Radicle and epicotyl
Are stumblin' for to taste

Aye, by faith, I'm so nervous
But the liquor in me bursts
Sendin' me up to the surface
Way up above the earth

Cells divide and multiply; I'm moved by forces not of my control

O, the day, the sweetest greeting
Beautiful and bright;
So unfold my cotyledon
To sip the summer light

Yes, my stem is swingin' and swayin'
Drunk with chlorophyll
Sittin' up to spend my days in
Love with all the world

And all my dark and dormant days have ended with the meeting of the sun

Flush, my face is filled with color
My blood is runnin' green;
Tilt my head and have another
Till I give the ground my leaves

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post