Keeping Advent (3A Wednesday): In Mary-Darkness

[The angel said to Mary, the child you bear] will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his ancestor David. He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.” (Luke 1:32-33)
Art Of Krishna Advent - ISKCON desire tree 02
"Art of Krishna Advent" by ISKCON desire tree 02, on Flickr

In Mary-Darkness
by Jessica Powers
from The Selected Poetry of Jessica Powers

I live my Advent in the womb of Mary
And on one night when a great star swings free
From its high mooring and walks down the sky
To be the dot above the Christus i,
I shall be born of her by blessed grace.
I wait in Mary-darkness, faith’s walled place,
With hope’s expectance of nativity.
I knew for long she carried me and fed me,
Guarded and loved me, though I could not see,
But only now, with inward jubilee,
I come upon earth’s most amazing knowledge:
Someone is hidden in this dark with me.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post